Friday, February 13, 2009

Movies...


So apparently I have stumbled upon a major revelation inadvertently, time travel indeed does not work. The stunt I attempted with changing the time zones to insert the post several hours earlier "yesterday" in another time zone did not work. Even stranger though, is the fact that I did not apparently miss a blog post this week. I suppose I will just chalk it up to providence and maybe me not being quite as tired as I thought one night and keep it moving. In REAL TIME, I woke up at 5:30 this morning for no particular reason, but since I was up, I decided to be productive. So I popped in the movie "Legacy" into my computer. This movie was truly moving. Documentaries are my favorite, but this one is heading to the top of the list. I love following the lives of others, and consider myself intentional about being involved in the lives of others. Not so I can simply say that I am, but because people really interest me period. Not just Christians. Not just black folk. PEOPLE! Period....and I think it shows. It has not been through any great effort of mine, but through a gift that Christ has blessed me with and also modeled for me mainly through my Mom! Back to the movie though, this film was gripping as I followed the lives of the Collins' family through their trials and tribulations in a Chicago housing project.

So school went well overall today, but I found out that a young man at Wylie High School lost his life in the school parking lot as a result of a motorcycle accident. Please pray for Nicholas Davis' family that they might be comforted during this extremely trying time.

I then went to work this evening at the gym for the first time this week. I will get a few more hours tomorrow so that will certainly help. Gotta keep the dollars circulating.

One interesting tidbit that I wanted to share to further illustrate how far we have to go still as people overall was an incident that happened yesterday. It was somewhat minor in that they weren't anywhere near the scale of ignorance as that of the PG police, but they still acted out of turn. My students were on their way to my house and on my street when they were pulled over by the police. When the officer asked him to produce his license, he complied and everything checked out. She said she stopped them because they were 'suspicious' and then bid them on their way, but it sat very wrong with me. Now what is suspicious about two clean cut black teens that are on their way to tutoring? Might it be the fact they happened to be in the "old" part of town and weren't one of the six black families that live in our subdivision. The whole thing seemed suspicious to me, yet I am glad my students got a taste of what they need to be vigilant of. Whether in Chicago, Wylie, New York City, or Plano, there will be many police officers who do not operate according to policy and will stop you without reasonable cause. I say this from personal as well as family experience. The greatest weapon against such injustice is patience as well as keeping a level head, even in the midst of ignorance and fear.

Keep marching to Zion...

No comments:

Post a Comment