Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Step it up self!

"The challenges of today prepare us well for the opportunities and victories of tomorrow, if we allow them."

-Me

I literally just thought of this 29, no 30 seconds ago. Not because I am being super deep, but because I am determined for my mind to be a remix factory. A place where the lies and setbacks are transformed into tools to use on the quest for truth and fuel towards greater and consistent personal responsibility. I say that because I just found out that potentially I will have a traffic ticket on my record because I failed to pay the second portion of the fee. I was stopped right before i moved to Miami by the police and I had elected to take the defensive driving course. Long story short, money has been tight all this time and I got the date wrong so now I will have to face the consequences. I wrote a letter to the judge and mailed it today, (doing it in the same day is HUGE for me!) but for it come under these circumstance is not quite cause for celebration. Nevertheless, I can let this get the rest of my day down and allow it to be a worthless tool for me to resent authority, (something I already struggle with) or I can use it as a stern reminder of how important our oaths are in our everyday lives, especially financial ones. Should this not be removed, I will be left without excuse as to why I will now have to pay more in insurance each month and whatever else comes along with it. Yet the choice still remains both through grace and choice of the mind as to how you will use it. I for one will choose to use it as a reminder to never let the cares of day to day existence keep me from my word. Could I have taken a loan from a family member to take care of the defensive driving? No doubt. Should I have sacrificed a news segment on CNN or a conversation with a friend to take thirty seconds to enter in a reminder of the due date of my ticket? Absolutely! So now I stand here like a black Tim Taylor, it's tool time. Allow yourself to use setbacks as tools for building the foundation for the future instead of agents of destruction in the present.

Sometimes you just have to put the world on pause to address your responsibilities. Lisa McClendon has done so...here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment