Friday, January 23, 2009

PC/MAC!

Today has been a good day! I woke up at a decent hour and went to Smith elementary, where I subbed for the music teacher there yesterday, to retrieve my phone charger, or so I thought. It was not there, and I was wondering where it was when I looked down at my grocery bag that I brought my lunch in that day, and behold, the charger was bundled up right there.

Whenever something like that happens, I like to say to myself, "I am more responsible than I thought!" However, I know feel that that is not quite accurate because I still do not know where it is until it is found, although I might place the object in a place where it should go. Keeping up with things is something that I have been working since I was in elementary school. And although I am glad to say I am making progress, something struck me a few years ago that I would like to share. Sometimes it seems like regardless of how hard you try in an area where a previous proclivity might have existed, you are still seen by many as that very thing you try so hard not to be. Case in point, today, I was leaving to go get fingerprinted so I could start substituting again in the Richardson Independent School District. I pulled into the Neighborhood Wal-Mart parking lot to get gas, (riding on 'E' is not cool!) and then I found out that I did not have my Chase check card with me. On one hand, I was disappointed to have to go back, but was grateful because I found out my mistake before I traveled further down the road. Additionally, I was going to need to need that card beyond getting gas because I was going to potentially buy the computer later on in the day. So I went back home, talked with my Mom briefly grabbed my camera bag, took it to the kitchen and set it down, then helped my Mom out to the car. I then went back to Wal-Mart to go get some gas, where I found out that once again I had left the camera bag at home! I had just moved it from one room to another, but forgot to take it with me. So I returned home again, made sure I grabbed the camera bag, then went back to Wal-Mart for gas. What a feeling it was though calling my Mom to see if I had left the bag in her car when I was helping her out; I mean I had just come home to grab the thing I had left, and I ended up grabbing everything except that. So frustrating! And in similar situations during my collegiate tenure, I could feel my family members thinking in their head, "Man, when is this guy going to change?!" In many ways they still saw me as a "loser," not in the Mean Girls/Clueless definition, but as one who constantly loses things. In spite of my progress, the past was the only thing present. My mini-fiasco took me back to those feelings, and it did not feel good; so instead of dwelling on it, I thanked God, got back in Journey (my 93' Honda) and went on my way.

The middle portion of the day was interesting as I finally made it back to my task list and went to go get the paperwork to get fingerprinted. As I was turning in the worksheet I had filled out, the lady asked me for my SS card. I inquired why, and she said because there was a line that said to fill in my SS number. I told her that I did not get it, and what did that have to do with providing my card when there was no verbage on the information sheet or the letter I received that said I needed to bring the card? For that there was no answer, but in a few minutes she somehow discovered that they had made a mistake and the form I just filled out was not even necessary! Grateful that it was resolved without having to show my truly firm side, I then called the number to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted, and then they gave me an option to pay for it over the phone with my credit card. Well I have a Chase Leisure Rewards check card that gets points everytime you use it as credit. So I used that to hopefully get some points. Hopefully in these next few years, I will be able to use those points towards travel of some kind.

After leaving there, I went on to downtown Dallas to pick up that huge bag from the trip that I decided to ship instead of lug around back to Texas, and also drop off my brother Jahmicah's wheel. There is really cool place called bicycle farm in this loft where Jahmicah takes his bikes. Owen Weber is the owner, and a really cool and funny guy. So I dropped off the wheel and asked could I use his USB port to charge my phone. He let me, and as I waited, he was on the phone with some law firm discussing a bogus legal matter. Upon hearing of his adventure at the hands of Dallas' finest, I was indirectly reminded of my own ordeal two months before graduation at the hands of PG county's finest. I think I will post on that tomorrow. For although it is redundant to dwell on savage action at the hands of those sworn to protect and serve, it is important to stay aware. Continuing on though...

I then went to check out the computer, Rory had told me to ask the guy if I could play with it and see the features, and the guy insisted when I asked over the phone. So when I got there, I checked out the features, and WOW! It has an HD card reader, to play DVD's in HD, Ilife06, Microsoft Word 2008 and a bevy of other features. This should really help me cover new ground with my business so I am really excited. Plus, the thing is FAST! I should have it all set up tonight, so be expecting some new stuff here in the near future. The guy even gave me a slice of pizza and let me use my microwave to warm up my quesadilla...(random, I know!) I think I might go back over there tonight to see if he can recover my hard drive from my old pc for me.
Good things are happening!

Last but certainly not least, my Dad went to work today for the second day in a row! Now, for those who are already forming sundry opinions on why is that such a big deal, let me provide some background info. A year and a half ago, while helping a lady move her car out of the road, my Dad tore his Achilles tendon. Recovery has been slow and painful, but when my Dad picked me up from the airport, he informed of an assignment, and then told me he wanted to sub as well. My heart smiled as I knew this was an important step in recovery; and my Mom has told everyone about it. This was just as important for her, as it marked an important step toward a greater distribution of the finances, which she has been shouldering most of during this time. Jesus makes all things beautiful in his time, and I know my Dad has felt like crying and questioning God about why this had to happen along with three surgeries; yet as we worked together yesterday at the school, I was elated to his smile match mine.

Talk to you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment