Monday, February 9, 2009

And all that jazz!

So today was a day full of happenings. There were no sub jobs this morning, so I was preparing to work around the house and get stuff done as well as take back the truck, but you know about plans that are made in the Dawes' household...(at least here in Tx.) it never seems to quite happen that way. My Mom needed some help getting out and then wanted to keep the truck one more day so she could buy a mattress from The Dump. For those who don't know, The Dump is a closeout store of name brands that have been reduced drastically. Even with the reduction, the prices are a pretty penny, but the time has come for my parents to have a new bed. I think it has been a good ten years. Alas, today would not be the day though, as I found out to my chargrin, that The Dump was only open on the weekends! So the truck would not be used for that...ok, that was cool with me. It would have been a challenge anyway to make it happen before the store closed. The time comes for me to go to work though, and I cannot find the key! (Key losing has been Achilles' heel for me, and I really bothered when it happens) I am searching all over the house...trying to recall the last few hours and making sure the couch didn't swallow it up. My recollection did not help nor did the couch swallow it, so I made my way to Birmingham on what else, my trusty bike! I arrived there and went to the fourth grade classroom. All I can say is that is what an adventurous day...it was all good, but I noticed a few things overall which I found disconcerting. I seriously will expound on it further, but for now I will say that it certainly takes some people much longer to get used to diversity than others.

Speaking of which, did you all read or hear about the Miley Cyrus situation? This is not and will never be a gossip column, but there are things that happen in pop culture, academia, and world events that I certainly will comment on as I feel fit. Apparently she was at a house party with boyfriend and they took a picture with other "friends," one of them an Asian, and they thought it would be cool to make slanted eyes in the picture. That did not go over too well with the Asian community, and they demanded an apology. She did so, but in Hollywood fashion. Here was the first apology.

"Ive also been told there are some people upset about some pictures taken of me with friends making goofy faces! Well, Im sorry if those people looked at those pics and took them wrong and out of context!

In NO way was I making fun of any ethnicity! I was simply making a goofy face. When did that become newsworthy? It seems someone is trying to make something out of nothing to me. If that would of been anyone else, it would of been overlooked! I definitely feel like the press is trying to make me out as the new 'BAD GIRL'!"

I feel like now that Britney is back on top of her game again, they need someone to pick on! Lucky me! haha Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know what is on my heart. You guys know me and have been by my side every step of the way!

You guys know my heart and know the most important things to me are my friends, family, fans, and GOD! In NO WAY do I want to disappoint any of you! But, when I have made mistakes in the past, I feel like Ive owned up to them and apologized.

Anyway, I really wish everyone would stop focusing on my personal life and get back to focusing on what I love! Music and Acting! Hopefully, I will be touring again this fall! Yayy! =] It will be a nice change to be back out on the road again!"

After she or someone in her camp realized that the first one was a poor attempt at making amends, she released this second one.

"I want to thank all of my fans for their support not only this week, but always! I really wanted to stress how sorry I am if the photo of me with my friends offended anyone. I have learned a valuable lesson from this and know that sometimes my actions can be unintentionally hurtful. I know everything is a part of GOD's ultimate plan, and mistakes happen so that eventually I will become the woman he aspires me to be. Peace and love, Miles"

I write about this again not because I am about gossip, which is more often than not a waste of time. Regardless of your stardom or lack thereof, there should be a certain amount of awareness that should guide your actions. It is tough being under a microscope, but whether the lens are on or off it is essential to always go beyond self. Hopefully this will truly serve as a lesson, but the ironic thing is that she is a Disney star, a giant piece of a company that has come a long way from the racism evident in 'Dumbo.' So it is just surprising that something even remotely close to actions like this would come into her head and seem acceptable. I ran across word of a similar situation at a school I was subbing at here in Wylie where middle school age students were saying that everyone should only speak ENGLISH! Then another student said the Chinese might be cool learn, but then started saying "Ching Chang Chong!" We really need to step it up as torchbearers for the next generation in educating them not only as to what is acceptable, but as to the greatness of many other cultures full of people who don't look like your average face in a textbook, but who had advanced civilizations while others were still literally living in caves.

No comments:

Post a Comment